Re: dpkg problem

David Fuchs wrote:
> So the question is, why did dpkg not install the files properly?

It thought it already had.

> Obviously it's keeping track of what's installed (or should I say,
> what it *thinks* is installed).  dpkg's assumptions don't help me,
> however, and I can't be certain my applications are installed
> correctly if it goes removing things after the fact.  How can I
> force dpkg to *forget* about what I've already installed, so I can
> install it again?  Better yet, is there a way to force a proper
> re-install with dpkg?

De-install it with 'dpkg -r foo' which will chuck a whole bunch
of errors because it won't find the files it's trying to de-install,
but ignore the errors.  Then reinstall.  See what happens.

I'm not guaranteeing it would work, it's just the first thing I'd
try under the circumstances :)

bekj

--
: Usual state:  (e) None of the above.