Re: [users] Mail from OE to linux and more

Eric G. Miller wrote:

> When you configure exim, you'll want it as a "smarthost" forwarding
> everthing that isn't destined for a local user ("paul") to @Homes smtp
> server.

I tried that when I was first configuring exim, but it didn't work for
me. I ended up just letting exim consider itself an "internet site",
i.e. if mail is going from me to foo.com, exim goes straight to
foo.com's mail server to deliver it, rather than going through my ISP's
servers (or Yahoo's, since I normally use my Yahoo account for most
purposes). I was afraid this might not work due to overly-enthusiastic
spam blockers not accepting mail from ISP end-user dynamic-address
ranges, but so far it hasn't been a problem.

> Allow it to accept mails originating *only* from "localhost" or
> the hostname of your machine.

Or at least, only from machines on your local network. I have a NAT
firewall DSL router that doesn't let in any traffic on the SMTP port,
and exim is configured to accept connections only from the range of
non-routable IP addresses I use locally. This allows one copy of exim to
handle all mail for my all machines and users on my network.

Craig