Re: How to use preferences (/etc/apt/preferences)

Am 08. Jul, 2001 schwäzte Alan Chandler so:

> First - does /etc/apt/preferences file apply when you use dselect, or only
> when you use apt-get?

Don't know. Don't use dselect.

> Second - what I currently do is a) have /etc/apt/sources.list lines that
> get my packages from testing
>
> b) When I want packages from unstable - I manually ftp them from
> debian.org mirror to a local mirror - manually also trying to also
> copy all the dependent packages - and refer to them with a separate
> sources.list line.
>
> It seems to me that the /etc/apt/preferences file would be a better
> approach, with some lines like
>
> Package:*
> Pin: a=testing
> Pin Priority: 500
>
> Package: xxx
> Pin: a=unstable
> Pin Priority: 998
>
> Where xxx is the package name I want to install from unstable.
>
> Is this correct?
> What about the packages on which xxx depends?

That's what I would think would work. I was having probs with it when
testing a couple of weeks back.

Instead of pinning the package from unstable at 998, pin unstable below
testing, then apt-get install xxx/unstable. From then on apt updates the
package from the dist it came from, e.g. anytime that package gets updated
in unstable it will get updated, but other packages would only get updates
from testing.

This was working well for me when I was testing.

Search the list archives for posts I made a few weeks ago. I was in the
middle of testing use of preferences and posted much better info than I'm
remembering right now.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  A t-shirt a day keeps the noose (tie) away. - der.hans