at a loss with /dev/dsp [trident driver]

hi,
this trident driver is giving me issues. or maybe it's the hardware...
recall that the trident driver that i use loads just fine. after
/dev/dsp does not accept data.

even though one particular wave file i got is only 8 seconds long,
play sits there endlessly, and no sound escapes the speakers. *but*,
when i do 'aumix -L' to load my default mixer settings, there is a
click in the speakers.

i had it working on 2.4.5, then it stopped, so i upgraded to 2.4.6,
but that didn't fix it. now i can't get it to work on either, and i
don't feel like downgrading.

"memory is like an orgasm.
 it's a lot better
 if you don't have to fake it."
                          -- seymour cray commenting on virtual memory

"but virtual memory still gets the job done."
                                                                 -- gr