xset (and therefore Abiword) doesn't work

I sent a message to this list earlier

(http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-0107/msg01136.html)

but neglected to mention that I am not subscribed to it, so please copy
me by email (or wait for me to see your archived reply :)

The problem is that xset is unable to append a directory onto the font
path.  When I try 'xset fp+ /usr/share/abisuite/fonts' I get

X Error of failed request:  86
  Major opcode of failed request:  51 (X_SetFontPath)
  Serial number of failed request:  9

To answer the question from the response to my message, I have just
dist-upgraded to unstable, so all of the packages are the newest
versions, i.e. xbase-clients is 4.0.3-4

I have seen the error on Abiword startup reported as a bug, but I have
not seen anyone come up with a solution.  I realize that most people
don't have a problem with this, but I am looking for a place to start
looking for where my installation might be hosed.

Thanks.