Re: X server and PS/2 mouse problem

Simon Lang wrote:
> I am faced with a conundrum.
>
> I am running a new inst of Debian and have discovered my mouse will not work
> properly. The main problem with the mous is the fact that the pointer does
> not show up on the screen properly. The pointer is limited to a space of
> 1/4cm strip along the botton of the screen and responds erratically to any
> movement of the mouse. The buttons on the mouse do work however (if you can
> manage to click on anything).

Sounds like the wrong mouse protocol is being specified in your XF86Config
file.  In my XF86Config I have :

Section "Pointer"
        Protocol "ps/2"
        Device "/dev/mouse"
        Emulate3Buttons
EndSection

Also :

mike@hobbiton:/dev$ ls -l mouse
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           10 Apr 10 14:23 mouse -> /dev/psaux

I would check those two items and see what your system has.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.