From: "John DOE" <bacteria@petekmail.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2001 8:59 AM
Subject: Strange behavior

> Hello, I am a new debian user and someone still learning linux. I have
a small problem. My company is using a firewall created with Ipchains of
3 zones ( dmz - local - internet ) on a Intel Pentium Pro processor
machine running Debian 2.2r3 on it ( base system + mc + tcpdump +
nano ).  Strangely enough one of the interfaces ( the internet
interface ) completely at arbitrary times start sending packets to
itself. Packet proto=1 sourceip:3 rd port to sourceip:1 st port s=0xc0
f=0x0000 t=255 log says. As far as I understand from this log the packet
sent is an ICMP packet from port 3 to tcpmux port ( icmp's have ports ?
knew they did not ) of size 13 hexadecimals not fragmented and time to
live is 255. But this is not possible. 1st no one can use this machine
as a terminal and no one can telnet to it's interfaces. 2nd rp_filter is
set to 1 for all interfaces ( in case of a spoof attack ) .