Re: how stable is the testing branch?

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 04:51:25PM +0000, joe golden wrote:
| Debian has koffice in the testing branch>>
| this may be the answer to my need for a stable word processor and graphing
| spreadsheet for our small school network of 10 machines.
|
| Will the testing branch be so unstable as to crash regularly?  I don't want
| to look bad and I don't want linux to look bad.

I have testing running quite happily on my machine at home.  I got it
for the new GNOME.  As others have said, make sure you check before
upgrading.  I found that xscreensave and gnome-applets disappeared
when I upgraded.  gnome-applets wasn't in testing at the time (it is
now!) and I don't know why xscreensaver disappeared.  It may also be
possible for you to use stable, but download individual packages from
testing to get the newer stuff you need.  I did this with galeon and
mozilla from sid.

Also, if you are to run testing, whatever, I am sure you don't want to
have to manually update each machine.  The idea that I like best is
diskless terminals.  Get a nice fast, big machine.  This machine will
have all programs and data (home directories, etc).  Then get some
cheapo pcs with a NIC and video card so they can boot with a kernel
from the server, and run all apps from the server.  Then there is only
1 machine (plus a backup, I hope ;-)) to perform maintenance on.  I
imagine that the school already has a bunch of "overpowered" machines
if they were previously using Windows, so those should work well as
diskless X terms.  The only concern is that the server is powerful
enough to handle all the simultaneous usage.  Also make sure the
server doesn't have a hardware failure and a backup is available (or
that the downtime is acceptable ;-)).

HTH,
-D