Re: how stable is the testing branch?

Testing is as stable as any other ditro of Linux not up to the Debain stable though. Having said that I would agree to only run testing if you have a need but it sounds like you do and I don't think Koffice will compile on stable. Having said that don't apt-get dist-upgrade every day. I would check with the guys at #debian first and would test any changes before you make them. I run a few workstations at work that need newer stuff and woody is the best way to do this. By always testing before upgrading them I have had a very good time of it so far.