Re: Digital camera and Linux

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 06:11:53AM -0700, Michael Epting wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 02:06:06PM +0400, Ilya Martynov wrote:
> > Or any advice on another relatively cheap and good digital camera
> > which can be used with Linux?
>
> Check out www.gphoto.org.  There is a compatibility list there.  gphoto
> is packaged for Debian but supports very few current models.  gphoto2 is
> under development and supports many more cameras.  I bought a Canon
> Powershot A20 which is not specifically supported, but a simple patch to
> gphoto2 did the trick and I can now move pictures to and from my camera
> from my Debian machines.  This is especially useful on my laptop so that
> I now have capacious storage for pictures when I'm on the road.
> --

Yes, gphoto is cool.  I bought a Camedia 360L not too long after they came
out.  It wasnt specifically supported by gphoto,
but by selecting a similar sounding
model from the same manufacturer, I was able to get acceptable results.
However, by attempting to use certian features (that I really didnt need
anyway)  I was able to get gphoto to crash repeatibly.  Obvious solution:
"Dont do that!"  Anyway, I am happy with gphoto and am glad to hear that
it continues to be developed.

Addressing other comments in this thread, I too considered getting a floppy
based camera, since floppys are obviously portable to Linux.  I rejected
that idea because it would be a slow, cumbersome way to handle that much
data.  I looked  for a camera that communicated via a serial interface.
Based on my experience with this, I would say that serial is marginally
fast enought for my 1.3 Mpixel camera, but not fast enough for 3.1 Mpixels.

I stayed away from usb at the time I bought my camera because I did not
consider usb support in Linux to be stable/mature enough.  If I were
buying a camera today, however, I would look seriously at trying to put
together a gphoto + usb solution under kernel 2.4.x.  Firewire, if it
could be made to work for this, would be even cooler.

My 2 cents
Mike