Re: OT: can't access slashdot.org and freshmeat.net

> Subject: OT: can't access slashdot.org and freshmeat.net
> Date: Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 07:40:26AM -0500

> Quoting Philippe Clérié(debian@gcal.net):
> > This is probably off-topic and I apologize, but I am hoping that
the
> > collective wisdom on this list might shed some light on my
problem.

> > For several weeks now I have been unable to access slashdot.org
and
> > freshmeat.net. The connection either times out or ends up with
HTTP
> > error 500: unknown host. And lynx adds a long message with "...
the
> > server does not have a DNS entry..." But if I do:
> >

> Just a guess.
>
> Did you enable CONFIG_INET_ECN in your kernel?
> ie.  cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn returns a 1?
> if so try
> echo 0 /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
> and see if that helps.

No that's not enabled. But it's unlikely to be a problem with just
my computer, as it occurs at several sites connected to the same
ISP. Also I've seen it with Windows as well as Linux. So it does not
seem to be OS specific. It has to be a structural problem at the
ISP. They can't seem to figure out what is causing it.