Re: [users] Re: console beep

At 14:44 Uhr +0200 6.7.2001, Martin F. Krafft wrote:
also sprach Christian Jaeger (on Fri, 06 Jul 2001 02:31:16PM +0200):
 But how does the remote script issue the beep? ;-) Ctrl-g doesn't do
 what we are talking about.

ctrl-v,g!

(Not sure how it's related to just Ctrl-g: probably Ctrl-v just tells the shell 'don't echo the next input, just print it in escaped form'. So it's the same at the time it's really sent to the terminal output.)

do 'echo ^G'

and it should beep.

Yes it does, but only on *my* side, not the server's!

What's happening is that echo emits a byte, which is sent to the displaying terminal just like all other output. Try this:

echo ^G | xxd
00000000: 070a

The 07 is the bell char, 0a is line feed.

The receiving terminal (which is on MY side, not the server) converts char 07 to a bell sound.

So I would have to send char 07 to a terminal *on the server*. Well, why haven't I had this idea before? :-) :

echo -n ^G >/dev/tty0

Works!
(You have to be root for that)

Problem solved :-)