Re: /etc/modules vs. kmod/modules.conf

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 08:18:44PM +0200, Martin F. Krafft wrote:
> what is the preferred method of loading modules? i guess /etc/modules
> will be the answer because of tool like modconf, but i don't generally
> use debian kernels or modconf, so i am interested on what you have to
> say.

There is no preferred method afaik.  If you do not have kmod, then you
will need /etc/modules, because /etc/modules.conf is simply not used.

Since I use kmod, I create a new file, named /etc/modutils/local, and put
my machine's settings in there.  Then run update-modules to regenerate
/etc/modules.conf.  Another way would be to edit /etc/modutils/arch/i386,
but that way, an upgrade may want to change that file and I have to
merge it manually with my changes all the time.  Don't put the local
file in the arch/ subdirectory, because it will not be found there by
update-modules, as I found out after many fruitless attempts.

Cheers,

Joost