Re: compiling Kernel

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 11:24:45AM -0400, David Z. Maze wrote:
> MFK>   cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.6
> MFK>   cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.6
>
> 'dpkg --install ../*.deb'

This conveniently also put the config in /boot, so you never have
to look far when you need to know if some config setting is enabled.

There's a whole list of such features in the kernel-package docs.

> MFK>   $EDITOR /etc/lilo.conf          # make the changes here
> MFK>   lilo

"lilo -v -v" is what I use, so I get to see any errors more clearly.
It is unpleasant to notice these only after reboot.

> MFK>   reboot

ISTR that the proper command is "shutdown -r now", but on checking
the manpage, it appear that this is just what "reboot" does when the
system is not in runlevel 0 or 6.  Should save me some typing in the
future.

Cheers,

Joost