networking windows and linux

I'm currently trying to network a windows box and a debian box. I'm using ethernet cards and am able to ping both boxes respectfully. I use the windows box for the internet and mail (although once I am comfortable with Linux I will be converting fully).My question is how do I share the files from the windows box with the Linux box? And while I'm at it how do I share the Linux files with the windows box (I really don't care about that right now, but for future reference maybe)? Thanks.

Dan