Re: tty5 Displays Gibberish

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, John Bacalle wrote:

> Sh_t, man! I like to find the hardest door jam I can typically get a
> hold of and bang my head on it for a long while before I ask someone on
> the other side to let me in. But, in this case I should've hollered much
> earlier. ;+) 'reset' did the trick! Woop-di-do.

Just for reference, some months ago I was trying to run apple2 from
potato, and killed it at a bad time. This bollixed up my VT so badly
that reset couldn't fix it. Logging in and out didn't fix it, either.

The commands deallocvt and openvt did fix it for me. deallocvt N kills
that terminal entirely, such that Alt-FN doesn't even work anymore.
openvt -c N starts it back up. That worked beautifully for me.

- Aaron

--
So:  My point is that [Microsoft] may have a ton of money and be more
vicious than a junkyard dog, and have a stranglehold on dimwitted IS

-- Rick Moen, on macosx-for-users