Bus error on eth0, network card works, but lpr says device or resource busy.

Hi,
    I am trying to install Debian Potato, on my PC.  But, when I enable plip
(parallel port support), I get an error with lpr saying device or resource
busy.  Now what's weird, is the night before, I was on IRC, and I got a bus
error on eth0 but the network card works fine.  That happened on redhat.

Anyone have any ideas?  I might have caught that worm that closes ports and
the port for the printer and ethernet card is closed, I am unsure.  Man, I
want Debian so bad I can taste it :-)

Regards,
Patrick