Re: how to extract *.deb files, etc.

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 06:16:19PM +1000, Stephen Jiang wrote:
<snip>
> > As to your second question what video card are you using?
>
> I have used ASUS's CUSI-M with SiS 630E chipset (all in one mother board)
> on board VGA card with SiS 300 integrates a 2xAGP controller
> on board LAN card with SiS 7016/7014 (10/100Mb) ethernet controller
> on board SOUND card with Cmedia CMI 8738/PCI audio controller
>
> > If you don't know - $ xviddetect will sometimes work in telling you which
> > xserver you need to run. You could also pop the cover and look on the
> > card to see which card you have. XF86Setup does a nice job telling you
> > which xserver you need  but VGA16 is fairly generic so there may be a
> > better xserver suited for your card.
>
> Last night I "dpkg" xserver-svga driver, and then run XF86Setup, and
> eventually I got my X server running on 1024x768 mode. It seems
> ok apart from on board SOUND card does not work and LAN card
> have not tested yet.

OK if your using an SiS card you should more than likely install
xserver-sis
# apt-get install xserver-sis
Then run XF86Setup and pick your SiS card.  Backup you
/etc/X11/XF86Config file first though so you can fall back on your old
config if the new one fails.  You say you have X working but I think it
would run a little nicer for you if you used the SiS driver.  Worth a
try anyway.

> But this morning I turned on computer, it automatically used xdm to start
> X windows system (and with runlevel 2, I read some book - runlevel must
> set to 5 for using xdm). Furthermore, mouse did not work anymore
> (X windows system was still working).

# apt-get remove xdm

As far as sound goes you need to add support for your kernel to do that.
The LAN card will need a module installed.  I looked at -
http://www.uni-paderborn.de/Linux/mdw/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html
and didn't see an SiS LAN or sound card listed.  You might want to post
a separate tread on that topic.
hth,
kent

--