Re: passing "mem=???" to the kernel

At 08:15 a.m. 05/07/01 -0400, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> ...I recently doubled the RAM on one of my systems
> (from 128 to 256 MB) but the new RAM is not found.

I had the same problem on a dual boot machine, The bios thinks there's 300M, but there are only 190M
specifying mem=190M is OK

BTW windows belives he has 300M...

so IMHO it's definitly a mother/bios problem (at boot it also says 300M)

Maybe a stupid question, but does your motherboard/BIOS
recognize the new memory *first* ??

> I've never really seen a good explanation of why the kernel
> is not always able to find all the RAM, or under what
> circumstances it happens.

Around kernel 2.0.36, a major change was made in the software
that detects actual memory. On some, if not many systems, this
eliminated the need to pass the "mem" option to the kernel.