Re: Restarting Xdm

* Joost Kooij <joost@topaz.mdcc.cx> [20010705 12:13]:
> Any user logged in on the console should be able to "startx" in the
> default debian x11 configuration.  Maybe you changed the setting to
> root only.

Well, I'm running Slink here, maybe that accounts for it. As I already
mentioned any user can login to X when Xdm is/was running. I don't
believe I chose to exclude general users from starting X back during
installation, so long ago.

> To stop xdm, type:  "/etc/init.d/xdm stop".  The same for start,
> restart and reload.

Already tried that:

 # /etc/init.d/xdm start
 Checking for valid XFree86 server configuration...done.
 Starting X display manager: xdm already running.

and

 # ps aux
 USER       PID %CPU %MEM  SIZE   RSS TTY STAT START   TIME COMMAND
 root       204  0.0  0.7  2676   976  ?  S   Jul  1   0:00 /usr/bin/X11/xdm

It's running, but the Xdm login screen is absent, I should say, not
visible. There's nothing on ALT-F7 to login to.

> documentation in /usr/share/doc/sysvinit.

That doesn't exist on this Slink system.

   John

--
John Bacalle                                f./vm. +1 212 894 3778 x1057