Re: Restarting Xdm

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 05:47:46AM -0400, John Bacalle wrote:
> > the meanwhile just type "startx" to start the x windows system.
>
> Well, that restarts an X session for root only, as I have things
> presently configured. How would I restart Xdm again, so all users can
> login as before? Doing a 'ps' I can see it running, but it's not active
> on ALT-F7. As root, typing 'xdm' accomplishes nothing.

Any user logged in on the console should be able to "startx" in the
default debian x11 configuration.  Maybe you changed the setting to
root only.

To stop xdm, type:  "/etc/init.d/xdm stop".  The same for start,
restart and reload.  The same for the other daemons and services that
are controlled by the "initscripts" in /etc/init.d/.  Check out the
documentation in /usr/share/doc/sysvinit.

Cheers,

Joost