Re: uk.debian.org

Craig Dickson wrote:

Saqib Shaikh wrote:

recently a friend of mine wanted to get into linux. i gave him the
address of www.uk.debian.org. he phoned me back later and told me that
microsoft internet explorer said it contained chinese characters. i
also booted windows and had the same problem. ie asks if you want to
install support for chinese characters, and if you cancel the page has
weird stuff all over it. it i go to www.debian.org there is no
problem. i think this is a serious problem, and could someone please
tell me who to inform of this strange problem.

Complain to Microsoft.

The page DOES contain Chinese characters, as does www.debian.org, of
which it is a mirror. Down at the bottom of the page, there are brief
statements in a number of languages, Chinese among them. Why IE
complains about one but not the other is beyond me.

The simple workaround, I suppose, would be to go ahead and let IE
install its Chinese character support. If that doesn't work, then maybe
IE just fundamentally can't handle a mixture of character sets on a
single page.

Craig

I just checked this on one of our machines, MacOs 9.1 IE 5.0 and it renders without any complains. The characters it does not know (the same for NS 6.1) are shown as questionmarks. Maybe this is a hidden feature in Windows :-)).

Frank