Re: uk.debian.org

Saqib Shaikh wrote:

> recently a friend of mine wanted to get into linux. i gave him the
> address of www.uk.debian.org. he phoned me back later and told me that
> microsoft internet explorer said it contained chinese characters. i
> also booted windows and had the same problem. ie asks if you want to
> install support for chinese characters, and if you cancel the page has
> weird stuff all over it. it i go to www.debian.org there is no
> problem. i think this is a serious problem, and could someone please
> tell me who to inform of this strange problem.

Complain to Microsoft.

The page DOES contain Chinese characters, as does www.debian.org, of
which it is a mirror. Down at the bottom of the page, there are brief
statements in a number of languages, Chinese among them. Why IE
complains about one but not the other is beyond me.

The simple workaround, I suppose, would be to go ahead and let IE
install its Chinese character support. If that doesn't work, then maybe
IE just fundamentally can't handle a mixture of character sets on a
single page.

Craig