problem with ATA100

to erik steffl from cedric hugon

I have the problem when linux tries to create partitions : he doesn't recognize harddisk (it's the only drive). It's just after configuring keyboard and network. I tried to launch cfdisk(linux) but it stops immediately with an error message that tells me there's no harddisk. fdisk of windows recognize this drive and there are already 2 partitions fat32 on this drive. I don't understand I think it's a problem with ATA100 : I have a a promise driver that install the drive when booting the computer, after the test of IDE drives (this test doesn't see any disk, only CDROM devices ). So I can't launch cfdisk and he doesn't see any harddisk
What is "pio" in front of "hda" when booting linux's installation ?