Re: GTK Errors using GNOME in Testing

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 11:59:40PM -0700, Mark Wagnon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I did an upgrade tonight and decided to take a look at GNOME after a
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Did you use dselect?

> brief stint with KDE. Anyway, I noticed that things were pretty slow
> when it came to GNOME-ified apps. The control panel and gmc took their
> sweet time in launching and moving from section to section under the
> control panel was equally slow. I decided to take a look at the

Well, it's designed to compete with microsoft windows.  Try to follow
the same hardware specifications.  Or install fvwm.  :-)

> console I started the X session from and there was a screenfull of
> error messages like so:
>
>   Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect_by_data(): could not find handler containing data (0xE23EADO)
>
> Interspersed were a few of these messages:
>
>   /bin/sh: esd: command not found

It expects the package "esd" installed on your system.  If you see these
messages, there should have been a depends: esd in the package that emits
these messages.  Instead there is probably just a suggests: esd somewhere.
If you do not use dselect, you might not have noticed these "details".

Cheers,

Joost