Copying a deb repository to local disk

I am trying to install potato on my home computer. Since my graphical
hardware (Matrox millenium G450) is not supported in XFree3 I have to
install/upgrade to Xfree4. Unfortunately I have no internet acess yet, so I
have made a copy of the reprository at
http://people.debian.org/~branden/woody/i386/ on my local HD in the
directory /debian/woody/i386/

Next I have added the line "deb file:/debian/ woody/$(ARCH)/" to my
/etc/apt/sources.list file. And the Packages file (from ~branden) has been
put in the /debian/woody/i386/ directory.

When I start dselect the update command should update the database of
avaialable packages to include my local repository. Then the select command
should come up with a section with updated and obsolote packages, right ?

Since the Filename line for each package in the Package file reads
"Filename: woody/i386/<package-name> it should not be necessary to edit
this file, right ?

I am asking before actually trying it out because I fear I otherwise will
mess up the database. But maybe I'm to scary ?

--
Harald Iwe