Re: unstable system dies: apt-get dist-upgrade

Am 04. Jul, 2001 schwäzte Alan E. Davis so:

> Fairly often however I am harassed by messages from
> "install-info".  I have developed a standard operating

Don't think I've ever run into that.

> I am reinstalling, but if I can figure this one out, I will save myself
> a month of work.  This was a well loaded system with lots of
> self-installed packages.  I am starting from potato, now have upgraded to
> woody.

Have you tried "apt-get --reinstall"? Don't know if it works. The only
system I've had hosed enough to need it was well beyond the help available
from a reinstall :).

Minimally do a "dpkg --get-selections >/tmp/selections.txt" and transfer
that file somewhere safe. Then after doing a minimal install, you can "dpkg
--set-selections </tmp/selections.txt", then do a dist-upgrade. Actually,
maybe a dselect-upgrade would be more appropriate at that point.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  Magic is science unexplained. - der.hans