X Window Manager Alternatives

I read in the documentation that the deb for X 4.0.3 now uses
/etc/alternatives to find a window manager to use.  I like
icewm-gnome so I have:

[root@mycroft] /etc/alternatives# ls -l x-window-manager
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           26 Jan 18 03:39 x-window-manager -> /usr/X11R6/bin/icewm-gnome

And yes, that -is- where the binary is.

But when I bring up X, unless I start icewm manually, I end up
with -no- window manager.

It all used to work before I upgraded from 3 to 4.

Can anybody shed light?

bekj

--
: Usual state:  (e) None of the above.