Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 07:29:28PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:

> The reason why the run levels are specified was to handle cases where
> An LSB application may wish to have some kind of daemon which is only
> running when X11/xdm is running.

name 5.

> Now, we could have added yet another level of indirection (in computer
> science no problem can't be solved by adding another layer of
> indirection), but after a while, the layers upon layers of indirection
> become nasty to deal with.  In cases where we needed to add an extra
> layer of indrection, we did so; for example, structured comments
> define boot facilities such as $named or $remote_fs, instead of
> "S46foo.d".

so this runlevel business is soley about X.  fine, i can think of NO
daemon that relies on xdm being running off hand.  certianly not
enough for you to dictate to me how i setup my runlevels.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/