Re: how to run X apps as root?

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, christophe barbé wrote:

> SUX seems pretty usefull. What about a debian package for it (or
> integrating it in an another)?

   I was thinking about proposing to add it to xbase-clients but the
response was not very enthusiastic. So yes, maybe I'll package it. Would
you be interested about packaging it?

> Is there something similar for remote X session ?

   for remote X sessions you should use ssh. For instance:

$ slogin -X -l foo remote.dom

   The -X activates X forwarding if it is not the default (it's not on
Debian). With -X the remote application will see a $DISPLAY value that
looks like "remote.com:15". This is in fact handled byt the ssh server
which will forward all such X requests to your local slogin process
which will then send them to your X server. This means the remote
application communicates with your X server via an encrypted
communication channel, it's pretty sweet. Of course, on the remote end,
access to this "remote.com:15" is subject to an xauth-style
authentication mechanism. So here too sux can come in handy.

--
Francois Gouget         fgouget@free.fr        http://fgouget.free.fr/
     The software said it requires Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.