Erratic Visibility of NTFS subdirectories

Certain of my directories on NTFS partitions fail to show up in some
contexts.  Can anyone help me figure out what is going on?

The missing directories seem to be missing in gnome's file manager
(including the view in gtoaster) and in SAMBA.  However, I can see
them fine if I cd to the directory.  There is no obvious pattern to
the missing directories; their permissions (as viewed when I boot to
NT) seem the same as the others.  When I check from the command prompt
the file attributes are the same for the visible and invisible files.

The samba configuration is that I mount the paritions from Linux, and
then direct my samba shares to the Linux directory.

>From my mtab:
/dev/hda8 /ms/v ntfs ro,uid=1000,gid=103,umask=007 0 0
That's my user account uid and default gid.

Here's a console log from ls -l as that user

total 0
dr-xr-x---    1 ross     family      45056 Jul  3 00:00 Eudora
dr-xr-x---    1 ross     family          0 Nov 23  2000 WinFax
dr-xr-x---    1 ross     family          0 Nov 23  2000 paperport
-r--r-----    1 ross     family       1610 Sep 22  1996 rdb001.TIF

The WinFax directory is not visible in gmc; the others are.

Linux wheat 2.4.2 #1 Thu Mar 22 15:49:51 PST 2001 i686 unknown

I custom built the kernel using the debian packaging tools.