Re: Building and installing gcc-3.0

> Hi all,
>
>   I want to build and install gcc-3.0 on my Debian "potato" 2.2r3. I have
> downloaded gcc-3.0.tar.gz. If I simply type "configure", "make" and "make
> install", would Debian realize that gcc has been upgraded?

If by `Debian' you meant dselect, dpkg and freinds then the answer is no.
Those actions will not make `Debian' realize that gcc is upgraded.

> If not, what
> should I do? For some reasons, I don't want to apt-get it from the
> Internet.

I guess that you have to build the deb for yourself. Without having a deb-src
package I would say that this is a difficult task I would say.

>   Also, what should be my toplevel installation directory for gcc-3.0? It
> defaults to /usr/local/, but as far as I know, almost all debian programs
> are installed to /usr/ rather than /usr/local/ (<- am I correct?). If I am
> right, than should I install gcc-3.0 in /usr/ instead of /usr/local/?

You are right about /usr and /usr/local. In fact, this is intentional and
defined in policy. Actually, your situation is one of the reasons for this
policy. There fore, installing gcc-3.0 from the tar balls in /usr/local seems
to me the best solution. That way you might have a working version of it and
although `Debian' would not know about it they might live in peace. But do
note that I have no experience with these matters so that when you get down to
the small details things might get complicated.

You might want to look at the mailing lists archive of debian-devel. There was
a long discussion there about having gcc-3.0. This might give you more
understanding about the problems that you will have to solve.

--

	Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net>

Hillel used to say: If I am not for myself who will be for me?
Yet, if I am for myself only, what am I? And if not now, when?
                                          (Ethics Of The Fathers 1:14)