Building and installing gcc-3.0

Hi all,

I want to build and install gcc-3.0 on my Debian "potato" 2.2r3. I have downloaded gcc-3.0.tar.gz. If I simply type "configure", "make" and "make install", would Debian realize that gcc has been upgraded? If not, what should I do? For some reasons, I don't want to apt-get it from the Internet.

Also, what should be my toplevel installation directory for gcc-3.0? It defaults to /usr/local/, but as far as I know, almost all debian programs are installed to /usr/ rather than /usr/local/ (<- am I correct?). If I am right, than should I install gcc-3.0 in /usr/ instead of /usr/local/?