strange hangup

Hi!

<warning: long, and also kind of a rant>

After (at least I hoped so) sorting out my recent harddisk-troubles I
dismounted my /mp3-partition (which is the only one I had not fsck´ed
yet because it´s just to big and fsck takes approx. 2.5 hours), and
started fsck´ing it. Of course whilst being logged on from work and
therefore rather too far from the console.

Well, shortly after that the machine stopped doing TCP and UDP, but
happily answered ICMP echo-requests. Strange.

Now coming home the screen is frozen (as of 12:45 telling from the
syslog-tail which I´ve left running in the morning), mouse won´t move,
X isn´t to be killed. But still it answers pings from another machine
on the LAN. Well, since the machine seemed quite dead despite of that,
and neither of the 3-finger-salutes (ctrl-alt-backspace and
you-know-what) works, in fact, not even the caps-lock-led reacts, I
rebooted the hard way.

This is what I found in the syslog:

Jul  2 13:11:54 WatchZwerg sshd[7589]: debug1: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10
Jul  2 13:12:00 WatchZwerg last message repeated 37 times
Jul  2 13:12:04 WatchZwerg kernel: general protection: 0000
Jul  2 13:12:04 WatchZwerg kernel: CPU:    0
Jul  2 13:12:05 WatchZwerg sshd[7589]: debug1: tvp!=NULL kid 0 mili 10

and then, nothing. fsck didn´t turn up anything, and a quick glance
with memtest86 was also fruitless. Right now it´s compiling a kernel
and being a really, really well-behaved beast of burden.

I´ll be throwing serial-console-support in after the compile finishes,
just to have it handy for the next lockup.

Any other ideas/thoughts/rants for me?

cheers,
&rw
--