Re: Why is setting up X so arcane?

In article <E15FvZh-0002BS-00@riva.ucam.org>, Colin Watson wrote:
> nikki@trumphurst.com wrote:
> >In article <87sngkvd95.fsf@wesley.springies.com>, Alan Shutko wrote:
> >> The newer version of X is much better as scanning for devices and
> >> autoconfiguring them.  But that version isn't in stable (although
> >> some people have packaged it).  The old version doesn't scan at all,
> >> and while the various setup tools try to, they don't do it as well.
> >
> >Where should I look for a package, please?
>
> There are *unofficial* X 4 packages for potato at:
>
>   http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/xf403_potato/READ.THIS
>
> It can't go into stable because the stable distribution isn't updated -
> with any luck we can get woody released before X 3 drives everyone mad,
> though. :)

Looks like woody is sufficiently near release that I might as well give up
on X for now, and wait for woody.

After much more reading on various sites, I have found hints that my video
card (which I have now identified as a Diamond Stealth 64 [aka 64 VRAM])
is not supported.

I'll hang fire on X until woody is out.

May I say a big thankyou to all the many people who have contributed to
this discussion. Even though I haven't got my card working properly, I
have learned a lot.

--
Nikki Locke, Trumphurst Ltd.      PC & Unix consultancy & programming
nikki@trumphurst.com            http://www.trumphurst.com/