Re: iptables modules kill ppp

	Subject: iptables modules kill ppp
	Date: Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 09:23:28PM -0500

Quoting Matthew Garman(garman@uiuc.edu):

> Hello:
>
> I posted not too long ago about PPP not working with my new kernel.  The
> culprit turned out to be the iptables modules.  When the following modules
> are loaded, PPP won't work:

Please define, "PPP won't work".

Can you use the net from the firewall?

Does the connection drop, or do you mean that systems behind the
firewall can't connect to the net?

If what you mean is the latter, have you enabled forwarding
(echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward)?

Did you include the rule to enable masquerading?
$IPTABLES -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -s $NETWORK -j MASQUERADE

Answers to "it won't work' questions are really difficult to come up
with.
--
Real computer scientists don't comment their code.  The identifiers are
so long they can't afford the disk space.