iptables modules kill ppp

Hello:

I posted not too long ago about PPP not working with my new kernel.  The
culprit turned out to be the iptables modules.  When the following modules
are loaded, PPP won't work:

Module                  Size  Used by
ipt_REJECT              3168   2  (autoclean)
ipt_state                864   5  (autoclean)
ipt_LOG                 3376   4  (autoclean)
ipt_limit               1104   7  (autoclean)
iptable_mangle          1952   0  (autoclean) (unused)
iptable_filter          1984   0  (unused)
ip_conntrack_ftp        3664   0  (unused)
iptable_nat            19472   0  (unused)
ip_conntrack           19648   3  [ipt_state ip_conntrack_ftp iptable_nat]
ip_tables              12608   9  [ipt_REJECT ipt_state ipt_LOG ipt_limit iptable_mangle iptable_filter iptable_nat]

However, if I go through and rmmod all of these, PPP functions as
expected.

Now it doesn't look like it's my firewall that screws PPP up, just these
modules.  (The kernel won't let me remove any of these modules with a
firewall running---rmmod gives me the device or resource busy error.)

So if I flush all my iptables (iptables -F) and set the default policy to
ACCEPT for the three default chains (INPUT, OUTPUT and FORWARD), PPP
*still* doesn't work until I remove those modules.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the modules alone screw up PPP?

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, Take a bow for the new revolution