RE: Multiple IP addresses on one machine, and routing.

Title: RE: Multiple IP addresses on one machine, and routing.

Two resposnes in one!
>Are adding routes into your system?
>for instance when I added 2 ip's to one card, I do it like this
>
>ifconfig eth0:1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>ifconfig eth0:2 yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
>route add -host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx eth0:1
>route add -host yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy eth0:2
>

>where the x's and y's are the ip's
>
>Wayne

This did not help.

Second response:
>It is not entirely clear to me what you are describing here precisely.
>
>Do I understand correctly that you have a situation like this:
>
>       gateway
>          |               your box
>  net0 ---+----+----------+      +----------+------ net1
>               |         eth0   eth1        |
>             host0                        host1
>
>Can you verify this?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Joost

This is not my situation.  I am not trying to use the box as a gateway, I'm simply trying to get both interfaces to talk to the outside world.  The default gateways for both LANs, in fact, are different interfaces on the same piece of equipment.  But I cannot make it respond to packets on whichever interface the default gateway for the box is on.

Going to re-post my situation with some clarifications.
eth0 is on one subnet, and  eth1 is on another.
When I ping either interface from their respective subnets, all is well.
When I send a ping to eth0 from another subnet, all is well.  The default gateway is located on the same subnet as eth0.

When I send a ping to eth1 from another subnet, I get no response.
When --an application sends a packet from eth0's IP to another subnet-- while sniffing, it leaves eth0 and gets a response, and all is well.

When --an application sends a packet from eth1's IP to another subnet-- to another subnet while sniffing, it leaves -eth0- and recieves a response on eth1.

I have also installed ippl.  Though iptraf shows the packets arriving on the physical interface, ippl does NOT see any packets bound for the interface which does not have the default gateway.

thanks for the responses,
ben