rescueflop with home-made kernel; installation requires a rescueflop but does not see mine

Sorry if it was posted before, but my DynDNS account just went out and I'm afraid I just might have missed something

Hai,

Having a hard time figuring this out.

Previous subject was Proliant 1000 pains in the butt, but that seemed to scare you people:-)

I got myself a working kernel for the CompraQ proliant 1000 in the form of a bzImage.
I copied it to a standard rescueflop renaming it to linux.
Hinting it towards the smart2-array controller and the onboard (sim710-)controller, it booted nicely.
The installation menu was started and I felt happy. Then at the time to install operating system kernel and modules, it prompted me to put in the rescue flop; I did. It complained that it could not mount the floppy, I thought it was the 'home-made' flop (probably is). So I got the standard rescueflop. It could not mount that either?????
Now for the odd part.......
I installed the base system from floppies!!!

Any suggestions?  (rtfm; I know; but there are so many).

Thanks
Frans Schreuder