Re: Samba: Can't Rename the Log File

Check your /etc/samba/smb.conf to ensure that it does *not* contain a
line that says

syslog only = yes

just a shot in the dark...

Also, here's a snippet from /etc/cron.weekly/samba which may or may
not have some relevance to your situation:

# /var/log/samba/log.nmbd and /var/log/samba/log.smbd will grow until
# they
#   have reached they size especified in /etc/samba/smb.conf, "max log
#   size"
#   parameter. The sample smb.conf that gets installed with
#   samba-common sets
#   this parameter to 1 MByte. After the log files have reached this
#   size, nmbd
#   or smbd rename their log file to nmb.old and smb.old, and create
#   new
#   log file with the names nmb and smb. Here we rotate the .old
#   files,
#   not the nmb or smb files because Samba keeps them open!!! You have
#   been
#   warned!

(my editor has wrapped those lines)

HTH,