Re: `holding back' packages?

On 01 Jul 2001 10:53:56 -0700, Krzys Majewski wrote:
> 1. How can I `hold back' packages so Debian doesn't upgrade them?

use dselect. You can put pkgs on hold with "="

> 2. Does apt-get/dpkg always overwrite existing files, or only if their
> timestamps are older than the corresponding file in the .deb?

Since the package manager needs to know what files *exactly* you have, I
would say it ovwerwrites always

> I run  a customized potato box.  Usually I keep  custom stuff separate
> from Debian by installing it in  /usr/local. This was not the case for
> XFree86 version  4. Thinking I had  some time to kill  this morning, I
> foolishly did a `apt-get upgrade', which "upgraded" the X packages
> to  whatever  Debian thinks  is  the latest  version  of  3.3.6. My  X
> installation got  destroyed. I'd like  to prevent this  from happening
> again ;)

Uuuh, so don't do anything to your installed files without the package
managers knowledge!! Bad Idea!!!!
There are X4 debs available for potato. Somebody discussed it on the
list in recent times. Search the archive

--

I did not vote for the Austrian government