Re: [users] Re: how to prevent apt-get upgrading a package?

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 03:35:41PM +0200, Martin F. Krafft wrote:
> also sprach Joost Kooij (on Sun, 01 Jul 2001 03:23:37PM +0200):
> > It's called dselect.  But it is a secret.  If you tell anyone about it,
> > the cabal will have to send a mob onto you.  ;-)
>
> but as far as i know, you only want to place a "hold" onto that
> package, then use apt-get for the dist-upgrade. i think; noone has
> explained to me the difference between apt-get upgrade and apt-get
> dist-upgrade.

>From the apt-get man page:

upgrade

upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages
currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
/etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new versions
available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are
currently installed packages removed, or packages not already
installed retrieved and installed. New versions of currently installed
packages that cannot be upgraded without changing the install status
of another package will be left at their current version. An update
must be performed first so that apt-get knows that new versions of
packages are available.

dist-upgrade

dist-upgrade, in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also
intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of
packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it
will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of
less important ones if necessary.

Basically, 'dist-upgrade' uses a more aggressive approach to upgrades.
'upgrade' will only play with packages already installed on the
system, whereas dist-upgrade will add new ones or delete obsolete
ones as it sees fit.

-Nelson