Re: networking script in Debian

* Wing (daiwing@hotmail.com) [010630 18:01]:
> I have a simple question. In the boot up of the debian system, how and when
> the /etc/init.d/networking script in debian get called? I expect to find a
> S10networking in rc2.d directory but there wasn't. Would you mind clue me in?

$ ls -l /etc/rc?.d/???networking
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Dec 31  1997 /etc/rc0.d/S35networking -> ../init.d/networking
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Dec 31  1997 /etc/rc6.d/S35networking -> ../init.d/networking
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Dec 31  1997 /etc/rcS.d/S40networking -> ../init.d/networking

(sorry for the wide lines, folks)

> Also, I want to install a static routes when boot up. Is there a standard
> place in debian for me to edit? e.g. in redhat I go to /etc/sysconfig/static-route.
>
> Thanks in advance!

If you just need to set the default gateway for an interface, see
specifically the "gateway" option in /etc/network/interfaces. For
additional static routes, you may set them up with the "up command"
option, something like this:

iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.1.102
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	gateway 192.168.1.1
	up route add -host 192.168.2.1 dev eth0

(that's not pasted from a working config, it's just off the top of my
head, so it may or may not work.)

Good luck,
Vineet