Re: Old Libs Question

On 06/29/01 09:34:46 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> There was an installer package called 'netscape3' in potato, but it was
> removed in woody (nobody wanted to maintain it any more, basically).

Probably because they felt nobody was using it. It's a nice little
browser.

> Hmm, xpm4.7 was the libc5 compatibility library. Are you sure that's the
> one you want? (This isn't to say it won't be; I forget whether Netscape
> 3 was libc5 or libc6 ... if it was libc5, it indeed won't work with the
> new xlibs.)

Yeah, I have a vague recollection of needing to install the libs with
slink, and maybe even hamm (maybe not though). It doesn't work with
the new libs cuz I have them installed ;)

> It looks like you should be able to at least install xpm4.7 without
> screwing anything up; it installs into /usr/lib/libc5-compat. That seems
> like your best bet if Netscape 3 is libc5.

I went ahead and tried it and it seems to have worked okay. I'll know
more if things start to fail.

Thanks for the push.
--
Mark Wagnon <mwagnon1@home.com>