Re: hi masters of linux, surely you know some tricks...

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 10:59:03PM +0200, thomas anderson wrote:
> Hi masters of the linux community surely you know some tricks to this...,
>
> I want to try to put a perl script in the /usr/lib/perl directory however I
> don't have permission access...I tried symlinking it but it still won't work.
> is there I way to do this without becoming root or sudo?

as others have said, "don't do that."

if it's just for you, make your own lib directory in your $HOME
directory:

	mkdir ~/lib  <- put your perl modules there, then
	perl -I$HOME/lib yourscripts.pl

for executables, do

	mkdir ~/bin <- put programs here
	export PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"

--

here's the philosophy --

	$ echo $PATH
	/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games

every portion between ":" is a path that's searched when you ask
for a command (and you don't specify the full path yourself).
most of the stuff you run will be from /usr/bin, such as

	apropos  find    pager    tracepath  ...&c...
	cvs      locate  passwd   uptime
	diff     make    tail     vi

any of these can be overridden by putting a similarly-named
executable in the /usr/local/bin directory -- which is part of
the reason it's there at the beginning of your $PATH.

similarly, for perl's @INC:

	$ perl -e 'print join "\n",@INC'
	/usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux
	/usr/lib/perl5/5.005
	/usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux
	/usr/local/lib/site_perl
	/usr/lib/perl5
	.

put your own modules into /usr/local/lib/site_perl and leave the
system stuff alone.

the system utilities (apt-get, dpkg) will take care of the
system directories for you; you can munge the /usr/local/ stuff
to your heart's content. also makes it easier to back up changes
you make to your own system.

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #59 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: