Re: kernel install - unres. symbols

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 09:13:05PM +0200, Robert Voigt wrote:
> On Thursday 28 June 2001 20:46, Joost Kooij wrote:
> > Can you think of anything unusual in your configuration?  Maybe your
> > version of kernel-package doesn't know how to deal with it.
>
> Good idea. I have kernel-package 7.20 from Progeny, a leftover from when I
> upgraded a bunch of packages from a Progeny CD because the network wasn't
> working and I needed recent drivers. Doeas anyone know if the Progeny
> kernel-package is different?

By "different setup", I mostly meant to ask about the initrd reference.

BTW, on stable debian I have:
ii  kernel-package   7.15   Debian Linux kernel package build scripts.

and on unstable:
ii  kernel-package   7.43   Debian Linux kernel package build scripts.

zcat kernel-package/changelog.gz | sed -n '/7\.14/q;p' | wc -l
      355
lines of changes

zcat kernel-package/changelog.gz | sed -n '/7\.14/q;/*/p' | wc -l
       88
change items

So maybe you should upgrade kernel-package anyway.

> > If you keep having these "unresolved symbol" errors, then one might say
> > that installation was not really successful and that kernel-package should
> > try to trap these errors.  But that is an "if", I don't know what is really
> > wrong.
>
> As I said, the kernel boots fine. I don't get these messages when I boot. Or
> do you mean when I install that kernel again? Should I try? Is it save to
> install it again?

If all is well apart from some messages during installation time, then
maybe there is not such a big problem after all.  You could upgrade the
kernel-package and rebuild and install a kernel-image for the sake of it.

Cheers,

Joost