Re: Why is setting up X so arcane?

> > Why not give something like progeny or one of the
> > other distros which are debian based but aimed at
> > easy of use ?
> >
> > while i personally prefer just debian (woody)
> > but i know progeny has some pretty good X setup
> > tools ect.
>
> I don't suppose there is any chance of running their tools
> on plain Debain?
>
> If I did go to Progeny, do I have to start from the
> beginning (i.e. try to remember all the configuration files
> I have painstakingly set up correctly, and back them up,
> along with everything else I have changed/added to the
> machine, so I can restore them), or can I use it without
> trashing my existing installation?

Just "apt-get" Progeny, assuming you have a reasonably fast
internet connection. The info below is from their website,
this page specifically: http://www.progeny.com/download/

Upgrading from Debian 2.2 (potato)
------------------
Add a line to the top of the /etc/apt/sources.list file:

  deb http://archive.progeny.com/progeny newton main contrib
non-free

Run the following commands:

  # apt-get update

  # apt-get -f dist-upgrade

  # apt-get install debconf

  # apt-get install progeny-potato-upgrade

Install the progeny-standard-system package (recommended):

  # apt-get install progeny-standard-system

Remove the progeny-potato-upgrade package:

  # dpkg --remove progeny-potato-upgrade

Reboot your system (recommended).

apt-get should prompt you like normal when it comes to
overwriting or replacing configuration files.

If you don't have a fast 'net connection, I'm not sure what
would happen if you try and "upgrade" to Progeny using a CD
you either purchased or had burned.

Good luck
Hall