newbie partition question

hey,

i just started installing debian 2.1, but everytime i go to partition the
drive, cfdisk gives me this error about a "bad primary partition"  Then I
get a message about how my partition table is either corrupt or my disk is
'factory clean'.... it requests to 'wipe my disk's current partition table
and run cfdisk again'.  I did this once and lost windows (poor me).... i
could only boot to linux with lilo.

so i'm starting over

i've used fdisk to partition the 40G drive into 10G primary and 10G
extended... thus 20G left over... which I'm not going to partition til
later, i guess.  but I'm still getting this same error... should i just let
cfdisk wipe out my current partition table?

thanks for any help,
phillip