Routing Problem

Hi all,

My machine running potato has rtl8139 network card. I
have configured it as eth0 and eth0:0 with two ip
addresses. I am able to ping to machines in two ip
ranges and working fine. Now I have added one more
alias as eth0:0 with ip address 192.168.1.10 in
/etc/network/interfaces. When I am pinging to the
machines in this network (and even to this ip) I am
getting "operation not permitted" error. What could be
the reason. I have tried adding route manually. My
kernel is 2.2.19pre17.

Thanks in advance

Deb