Re: package naming?!

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 06:20:36PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Andre Alexander Bell wrote:
 [..]
> > If you want to _use_ ssh. Install package ssh.
> > If you want to _provide_ ssh...
 [..]
Makes sense imho.

> http://bugs.debian.org/39741
> http://bugs.debian.org/71864
>
> Have a look at ppp, for a package that breaks your rule of thumb
> even more, for very good reasons (ppp is not a client-server protocol,
> though most people use it as one, and think of it as one).

Indeed, by design it is peer to peer.  But in actual use it is mostly
used in a client-server context.  So maybe there would still be a sensible
application of the above proposed general scheme, by splitting ppp into:

A "client" package ppp that recommends: pppconfig and general focusses
on the sort of infrastruture for tweaks that dialin users need.

A "server" package that makes it especially easy to set up a dialin
server.  And maybe depends: on some mgetty or the like (I'm not an expert
in the field).

Cheers,

Joost